After a family has been investigated, a FBSS Caseworker helps them make changes to protect their children from abuse and neglect, and keep them safe at home. This involves providing services offered by the agency,  the family's community, and their extended families, including:

  • Recommending appropriate actions needed to resolve stressful family situations that lead to child abuse or neglect.
  • Helping families identify their own strengths and needs to achieve safety for their children while preserving the family.
  • Building community relationships with law enforcement agents, therapists, court personnel, and representatives from various agencies and organizations.

What kinds of things will I be doing?

  • Visiting homes to assess risk of child abuse/neglect, plan for child safety, and strengthen families so they can function without CPS intervention.
  • Responding quickly in a crisis situations.
  • Talking with families about things such as income, money management, and personal relationships that they will probably consider personal and private.
  • Discussing human sexuality and sexual exploitation of children in a direct and objective manner.
  • Interacting objectively with people who have abused and/or neglected children in their care.
  • Interacting with family members who are angry and/or scared.
  • Working as part of a team, which involves helping other caseworkers with crisis situations, while following the directions of the courts and agency.
  • Providing services, resources, and community supports to achieve child safety.
  • Staying in contact with parents and children to achieve goals.
  • Educating parents to change previous behavior that led to child abuse and/or neglect and empowers parents to make those changes.
  • When necessary, removing a child from a dangerous situation.
  • Documenting casework activity.
  • Working under constant time pressure, prioritizes efforts, and works flexible hours.
  • Staying objective and empathetic with families living in stressful and crisis situations.
  • Learning about cultures and lifestyles different from their own, and understands how to determine child safety and well-being within that context.

Do I need a college degree?

No. Entry level Child Protective Services Specialist I can have:

  • A  Bachelor's degree OR an Associates degree plus two (2) years of relevant work experience.


  • 60 college credit hours plus two (2) years relevant work experience OR 90 college credit hours plus one (1) year of relevant work experience.

Examples of relevant work experience in social, human, or protective services include paid or volunteer work within social service agencies or communities providing services to families or other at-risk populations.

What would my salary be?

The starting salary range is $3816.65 to $4094.50 per month and is based on your experience and qualifications.

I think I could do this job, but will I get specifically trained on what to do?

Yes!  You will have lots of great training before beginning your job. Though you will be doing visits to clients on your own you will have ongoing support from your co-workers and supervisor any time you need it. 

Are their opportunities for career advancement?

Yes!  You will receive ongoing training to prepare you for career progression. There are various levels of certification.

Conditions of Employment

You must have and maintain a valid Texas driver's license. Like all DFPS employees, you will have a criminal background check and a DFPS history check. You also must be able to type and have basic computer skills.

Want to learn more about what it's like to work for CPS?

Please take a self-assessment to see if a job in child welfare is right for you.

See "CPS Experience" video here.