The Department of Family and Protective Services recognizes the service and sacrifice of our military veterans and their families, particularly those who choose to continue their public service with DFPS. We value the leadership skills, diversity, dedication, discipline, training, adaptability, and work ethic they bring to the workforce.
The DFPS MilVets program is an agency-wide program established to provide support to veterans and their families and the people they work for and with. A large part of accomplishing that is done by fostering a sense of community and understanding within the Agency. The DFPS human resources office has a dedicated veteran's liaison whose primary responsibility is to oversee the administration, development, and coordination of the DFPS MilVets program.
Served Country? Now Serve Community.
Contact the DFPS veteran's liaison to fulfill your next mission and new purpose with DFPS.
DFPS engages staff to leverage the skills and talents of veterans, build a supportive community, and foster a lasting tenure to protect the unprotected citizens of Texas.
DFPS partners with Hiring Our Heroes and military transition offices to provide transitioning service members and military spouses with professional training and hands-on experience while DFPS assesses their character, work ethic, skills, and potential fit for a job at DFPS.
Additionally, Texas Government Code Chapter 657 allows state agencies to direct hire individuals entitled to veteran’s employment preference. The DFPS human resources office created a plan to implement direct hiring in order to capitalize on the skills and talents of veterans by filling multiple vacancies.
Let the veteran's liaison assist you with:
- Translating military experience using O*NET Military Crosswalk and State Auditor’s Office
- Internships for service members, military spouses, and veterans
- The application process
- Coordinating a professional interview with DFPS
- Determining what DFPS job best suits you
Working at DFPS
DFPS has specialized programs and support to help military spouses, veterans, and services members be successful in their civilian employment. DFPS also provides excellent benefits for those called to active duty. Through collaboration, communication, and coordinating relations, the DFPS veteran's liaison:
- Provides Military Culture Awareness Training (MCAT) for supervisors and managers
- Encourages participation in the DFPS Military Affinity Group
- Offers mentorship through the Military Veterans Peer Support (MVPS) program
- Provides information on resources, such as Veterans Affairs benefits and services
Review our Veteran Programs and Benefits brochure and the DFPS benefits webpage for more information on what DFPS has to offer veterans, service members, military spouses, and orphans of veterans. You can also learn about using your military service to purchase service credit toward state retirement.
Don’t take our word for it! Hear from our veterans, service members, and military spouses about their experience with DFPS:
- Continuing the Mission: Transitioning Service Members Join DFPS – service members describe how they started their journey from active duty to civilian employment.
- Continuing the Mission: DFPS Supports Citizen-Soldiers – Reservists and National Guardsmen describe their perspective of working for DFPS and still serving their country.
- Adopting and Serving – a service member shares her story about adopting, serving in the military, and working with DFPS.
For more information about working with DFPS, view our MilVets frequently asked questions.
Jobs at DFPS
Read about jobs at DFPS:
- Child Protective Services Jobs
- Adult Protective Services Jobs
- Child Care Investigation Jobs
- Protective Services Intake Specialist
View DFPS jobs at the Health and Human Services Jobs Center by selecting your desired city and “Dept of Family & Protectve Svc” for the agency.
DFPS has received various awards and recognitions for going above and beyond for military veterans, service members, and military spouses:
- DFPS has received awards from Employer Support of Guard and Reserve (ESGR) for DFPS's support to employees who serve in the National Guard or Reserves.
- VETS Indexes named DFPS a 4-Star Employer for its recruiting and hiring, support and retention, veteran-inclusive company culture, National Guard and Reserves support, and military spouse and family support.
- The Disabled American Veteran (DAV) award was given to DFPS for our exceptional examples of DAV’s core values of service, quality, integrity and leadership in employment policies, hiring practices and community outreach. DFPS has an unwavering commitment and passion to ensure all veterans obtain suitable employment to care for themselves and their families—and have the opportunity to live life with respect and dignity.
- The 2022 Military Times Best for Vets: Employer award recognized DFPS for its commitment to providing veterans with employment opportunities and championing veteran initiatives.
- G.I. Jobs named DFPS a 2022 Military Friendly Employer for our hiring, retention, advancement, and employee development programs that help veterans, service members, and military spouses reach their career goals.