The Department of Family and Protective Services recognizes the service and sacrifice of our military veterans and their families, particularly those who choose to continue their public service with DFPS. We value the leadership skills, diversity, dedication, discipline, training, adaptability, and work ethic they bring to the workforce.
The DFPS MilVets program is an agency-wide program established to provide support to veterans and their families and the people they work for and with. A large part of accomplishing that is done by fostering a sense of community and understanding within the Agency. The DFPS human resources office has a dedicated military liaison whose primary responsibility is to oversee the administration, development, and coordination of the DFPS MilVets program.
Served Country? Now Serve Community.
Contact the DFPS military liaison to fulfill your next mission and new purpose with DFPS.
DFPS engages staff to leverage the skills and talents of veterans, build a supportive community, and foster a lasting tenure to protect the unprotected citizens of Texas.
DFPS partners with Hiring Our Heroes and military transition offices to provide transitioning service members and military spouses with professional training and hands-on experience while DFPS assesses their character, work ethic, skills, and potential fit for a job at DFPS.
Additionally, Texas Government Code Chapter 657 allows state agencies to direct hire individuals entitled to veteran’s employment preference. The DFPS human resources office created a plan to implement direct hiring in order to capitalize on the skills and talents of individuals eligible for military preference by filling multiple vacancies.
Let the military liaison assist you with:
- Translating military experience using O*NET Military Crosswalk, Military to Civilian Guide, and the State Auditor’s Office
- Internships for service members, military spouses, and veterans
- The application process
- Coordinating an information interview with DFPS
- Determining what DFPS job best suits you
Working at DFPS
DFPS has specialized programs and support to help military spouses, veterans, orphans of veterans, and services members be successful in their civilian employment. DFPS also provides excellent benefits for those called to active duty. Through collaboration, communication, and coordinating relations, the DFPS military liaison:
- Provides Military Culture Awareness Training (MCAT) for supervisors and managers
- Encourages participation in the DFPS Military Affinity Group
- Offers mentorship through the Military Veterans Peer Support (MVPS) program
- Provides information on resources, such as Veterans Affairs benefits and services
Review our Veteran Programs and Benefits brochure and the DFPS benefits webpage for more information on what DFPS has to offer veterans, service members, military spouses, and orphans of veterans. You can also learn about using your military service to purchase service credit toward state retirement.
Don’t take our word for it! Hear from our veterans, service members, and military spouses about their experience with DFPS:
- Continuing the Mission: Transitioning Service Members Join DFPS – service members describe how they started their journey from active duty to civilian employment.
- Continuing the Mission: DFPS Supports Citizen-Soldiers – reservists and National Guardsmen are new to DFPS and describe their perspective of working for DFPS and still serving their country.
- Continuing the Mission: DFPS Supporting Veterans - veterans who are no longer in the military and are tenured DFPS employees talk about their experience with DFPS.
- Continuing the Mission: Transitioning Service Members (One Year Later) - service members who transitioned from active duty to the reserves or retired from the military:
- The Transition (Part 01) – talk about how they transition from the military to civilian life throughout their first year.
- Work-Life Balance (Part 02) – continue their discussion on how they, along with their families, adapted to a civilian lifestyle and civilian employment.
- New Mission, New Purpose (Part 03) – conclude why they feel DFPS provides a similar purpose as the military.
- Adopting and Serving – a service member shares her story about adopting, serving in the military, and working with DFPS.
For more information about working with DFPS, view our MilVets frequently asked questions.
Jobs at DFPS
Read about jobs at DFPS:
- Child Protective Services Jobs
- Adult Protective Services Jobs
- Child Care Investigation Jobs
- Protective Services Intake Specialist
View DFPS jobs at the Health and Human Services Jobs Center by selecting your desired city and “Dept of Family & Protectve Svc” for the agency.
DFPS has received various awards and recognitions for going above and beyond for military veterans, service members, and military spouses:
- DFPS has received awards from Employer Support of Guard and Reserve (ESGR) for DFPS's support to employees who serve in the National Guard or Reserves. DFPS was also a semi-finalist for the 2021 Secretary of Defense Employeer Support Freedom Award.
- VETS Indexes named DFPS a 2022 4-Star Employer and a 2023 5-Star Employer for its recruiting and hiring, support and retention, veteran-inclusive company culture, National Guard and Reserves support, and military spouse and family support.
- The 2022 Disabled American Veteran (DAV) Large Employer of the Year award was given to DFPS for our exceptional examples of DAV’s core values of service, quality, integrity and leadership in employment policies, hiring practices and community outreach. DFPS received special recognition for excellence in career building. DFPS has an unwavering commitment and passion to ensure all veterans obtain suitable employment to care for themselves and their families—and have the opportunity to live life with respect and dignity.
- The 2022 Military Times Best for Vets: Employer award recognized DFPS for its commitment to providing veterans with employment opportunities and championing veteran initiatives. DFPS ranked number 16 out of 175 employers nationwide. DFPS was the only Texas state agency to be in the top 50.
- VIQTORY named DFPS a 2023 Military Friendly Employer for our hiring, retention, advancement, and employee development programs that help veterans, service members, and military spouses reach their career goals.