When a child must be removed from their home, the court appoints Child Protective Services to be a "Conservator" of the child. That means CPS is legally responsible for the child's welfare and that is when a Conservatorship (CVS) caseworker comes in.  A CVS caseworker monitors children's care while they are in CPS conservatorship. This means working with the parents, extended family , and legal parties help children find a permanent, safe place to live. CVS Supervisors manage a unit of 7 to 9 CPS Specialists and one or more support staff.

What kinds of things will I be doing?

  • Taking over cases from Investigation caseworkers after children are removed from their homes and placed in care outside their homes.
  • Determining each child’s needs and arranging for additional testing, evaluations, records, or further assessments they need.
  • Conducting home studies of family members or family friends (kinship providers) who might care for the child.
  • Making sure the people who are caring for the children have what they need and keeping them informed about the case.
  • Working with children, families, and communities to plan for a child's permanent living arrangement.
  • Finding potential permanent placements for the child by meeting with parents, family members, and other people who are important to the family.  
  • Making sure families get services to keep their child safe and help them keep their child at home. 
  • Meeting with children, parents, family friends, or foster homes in public as well as in their own homes.
  • Visiting children at least monthly to see if the child feels safe where they are living and to ensure their needs are being met.
  • Participating in court hearings. This includes preparing a family before the hearings, preparing court reports, and testifying in court about the child’s needs, the family’s progress, and the department’s efforts to achieve permanency for the child.    
  • Transitioning children back home and providing support to the family until the legal case is closed.
  • Documenting casework activity.
  • Maintaining good working relationships between Child Protective Services staff and law enforcement officials, judicial officials, legal resources, medical professionals, and other community resources.

Do I need a college degree?

No. Entry level Child Protective Services Specialist I can have:

  • A  Bachelor's degree OR an Associates degree plus two (2) years of relevant work experience.


  • 60 college credit hours plus two (2) years relevant work experience OR 90 college credit hours plus one (1) year of relevant work experience.

Examples of relevant work experience in social, human, or protective services include paid or volunteer work within social service agencies or communities providing services to families or other at-risk populations.

What would my salary be?

The starting salary range is $3816.65 to $4094.50 per month and is based on your experience and qualifications.

Will I get training on what to do?

Yes!  You will have lots of great training before beginning your job and support from your co-workers and supervisor any time you need it. 

Are their opportunities for career advancement?

Yes!  You will get ongoing training to prepare you to advance and there are various levels of certification.

Conditions of Employment

You must have and maintain a valid Texas driver's license. Like all DFPS employees, you will have a criminal background check and a DFPS history check. You also must be able to type and have basic computer skills.

Want to learn more about what it's like to work for CPS?

Please take a self-assessment to see if a job in child welfare is right for you.

See "CPS Experience" video here.