Click the button at the bottom of this page to ask a question or make a complaint about an open or closed case with a Department of Family and Protective Services program including:

  • Child Protective Services
  • Adult Protective Services
  • Child Care Licensing
  • Residential Child Care Licensing
  • Texas Abuse Hotline

We must have certain information to help you, so please complete all required fields. If you do not have all of the required information, type the word "unknown" in those fields.

The Office of Consumer Affairs acknowledges every question or complaint we receive. If you would like to speak to someone, call our toll free hotline 1-800-720-7777, Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. If you call when we are not open, we will return your telephone call within one business day.

If you need to report suspected abuse and/or neglect of a child; or abuse, neglect and/or exploitation of the elderly or an adult with a disability; or report a violation of standards at a child care facility or residential child care facility, contact the Texas Abuse Hotline at 1-800-252-5400 or

Case-Specific Question and Complaint Form