From Budgeting to Succession Planning
These resources will help communities think through what is needed to support organizations in the short and long term.
Administration for Children and Families
The Administration for Children & Families (ACF), a division of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), promotes the economic and social well-being of families, children, individuals and communities with funding, strategic partnerships, guidance, training and technical assistance.
Blending Nonprofit Succession Planning and Executive Transition: A Successful Case
While it is tempting to deny it, every leader will transition someday. The approaches listed below offer leaders expanded choices that do the following:
- Transform the fear of executive transition into a proactive, empowering opportunity to increase focus on mission results and the leadership team needed to achieve the desired results.
- Reduce the disruption and risks of executive transition.
- Support organizations where needed in major repositioning or turnaround.
- Make more coherent the emotionally charged transitions of founders and long-tenured executives.
- Expand the culture and practices of leader development, inclusion, and diversity.
- Open the possibility of new approaches to sharing power and leadership.
- Consider more fully the possibility of a new partnership or merger before deciding to hire another executive.
- Address shifts in funding and the political environment, and rethink the connection between mission, strategy, and how the work of the organization is supported.
- Prepare for unplanned and planned transitions through a deeper approach to succession planning.
Budgeting for Nonprofits
A key component of financial sustainability is the commitment of board and staff to financial management that includes timely review of financial reports and advance planning. One way that board and staff plan for income and expenses in the future is by creating a budget. Approval of the annual budget is one of the fundamental building blocks of sound financial management.
Crosswalk of Evidence-Based Programs
This Crosswalk is designed to provide information to community-based child abuse prevention (CBCAP) state lead agencies (SLAs) to assist in identifying programs they may want to consider funding. It is meant to be used as a starting point and is not an exhaustive list of available programs.
FRIENDS National Center for Community-Based Child Abuse Prevention (CBCAP)
FRIENDS is a Training and Technical Assistance Provider for CBCAP lead agencies.
- Collaboration toolkit
- Cost analysis
- Educational advocacy
- Maximizing resources
- Evaluation toolkit
- Continuous quality improvement
- Program assessment
- Protective factors surveys
Mission Capital Research and Tools
Mission Capital provides the tools and guidance needed to tackle these complex issues and create lasting social change. We combine human, financial, intellectual, social and political capital to fuel the work of mission-driven people and organizations.
Vision: Complex community problems get solved.
Mission: We multiply the impact of mission-driven people and organizations.
From in-depth research to how-to documents, get the information and tools you need to answer your nonprofit and philanthropy questions.
Nonprofit Fundraising Strategic Plan Guide
The Nonprofit Fundraising Strategic Plan Guide explores the fundraising planning process and breaks down each of the necessary elements that will allow you and your team to elevate your next campaign. The elements of this strategic plan are:
- Making your case
- Choosing your team
- Sizing up your assets
- Exploring funding source prospects
- Understanding your supporter base
- Ready, set, goals!