Children Without Placement Agency Actions

When a child comes into the state's care, the technical term is "substitute care." The most well known type of substitute care is foster care. But there are several ways you can help a child who comes into state care.

Learn About DFPS Efforts for Children and Youth in Unlicensed Placements


June 2024 Update

May 2024 Update

April 2024 Update

Foster Care

When children can't live safely at home, a court of law can give the State of Texas temporary legal custody. CPS places these children in foster care. Foster care is meant to be temporary until a permanent living arrangement is found. CPS works closely with families to make it safe for children to return permanently to their parents.

Please read the Parents Guide To Foster Care, which is a detailed FAQ and information guide.

Extended Foster Care

Extended Foster Care is a CPS program that allows youth who are about to turn 18 years old to stay in their foster care placement while they transition to living independently.

Other Types of Care

  • Kinship Care - When a child is placed with family members such as aunts, uncles, or grandparents.
  • Volunteer Care - When parents place their child in the care of a friend or volunteer during a CPS investigation.
  • Permanent Custody - When a judge appoints a person to be legally responsible for a child without adopting the child.
  • Adoption - When a child legally becomes part of a family different from his or her birth parents.

Medical Services

STAR Health is a statewide, comprehensive healthcare system that coordinates health care and improves access to health care for children of all ages in state custody.

Joint Managing Conservatorship (JMC) is an agreement between DFPS and a parent or legal guardian for the purposes of obtaining mental health for a child.