Previous Page Next Page

Appendix 1132: Federal and State Agencies

CPS 84-0

The following federal and state agencies can help meet the needs of child protective services clients:

Social Security Administration (SSA) — programs include Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (RSDI). The worker refers potentially qualified clients for these services. The local social security representative can provide more detailed information about the programs and eligibility.

Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) — programs and services include maternal and child health; services for children with disabilities; public health; health education; food hygiene education; immunization programs; distribution of health education materials, and regulation of ICF-MR, nursing, and convalescent homes and summer camps.

Texas Department of Aged and Disabled Services (DADS) and Department of State Health Services (DSHS) — programs and services include residential and community based services for persons with mental illness and intellectual disabilities; the treatment of alcohol abusers; the treatment of drug abusers; out-patient clinics; services offered by MHMR community centers; and Waco Center for Youth.

Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD) — services are provided to delinquents, CHINS, and dependent and neglected children. Services include: programs for the placement of delinquents and children in need of supervision in institutions; residential treatment to abused or neglected children referred by DFPS; assistance in the transition of institutionalized youth to community based placements; and services to prevent or reduce institutionalization of these children.

Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) — unemployment insurance and employment services programs including job placements, counseling, and testing, employer referral; migrant and seasonal farm worker referral; veteran employment services; alien certification; employment services for DFPS clients; and job corps.

Other agencies to be considered as possible referral sources are: the Texas Department of Community Affairs; the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles; the U.S. Department of Agriculture; the U.S. Human Opportunities Corps; the U.S. Housing Authority; and the local legal aid offices. Many of these agencies also have resources accessible to DFPS staff such as film libraries, brochures, consultants, and speakers.

Previous Page Next Page