CPS March 2009
The worker uses the following guidelines to determine whether to close a case or seek legal intervention:
· Have the parents demonstrated both a willingness and an ability to use others in time of need?
· Have the parents addressed identified concerns and needs that contributed to the abuse or neglect of the child?
· Have the parents made the changes necessary to ensure the safety and well-being of the child?
· Does the family have a plan in place in the event that a crisis arises?
· Have the parents communicated their crisis plan with each and the support people involved?
· Does one parent realize when the other parent needs help and offer the help needed?
· Does the family have other family members or support persons and services in the community to rely on in times of need?
· Are the child’s basic needs being met (housing, food, clothing, medical, developmental)?
· Are the parents' expectations of the child realistic?
· Is the family home free from potential safety or health hazards?
· How do the parents and children interact with each other?
· Has the child responded well to the changes the parents have made?